10 Tips for Successful Public Speaking
- Know your material. Once you have picked a topic you are interested in, be sure to know more than you include in your speech. Use personal stories to relate to the topic. Use conversational language.
- Practice. Rehearse out loud and repeat this action often.
- Know your audience. Greet audience members as they arrive. Converse with them prior to giving your speech.
- Know the room. Arrive early. Practice using microphone and walk around the stage.
- Relax. Transform nervous energy into enthusiasm. Try breathing exercises.
- Visualize yourself giving the speech. Imagine the audience clapping and giving a standing ovation.
- Realize people want to succeed. Audiences want you to be interesting, stimulating. informative, entertaining. They want to succeed, not fail.
- Don’t apologize. This is unnecessary because the audience never notice when you screw up UNLESS you make it obvious.
- Concentrate on the message. Focus your attention away from your own anxieties and concentrate on your message and your audience.
- Gain experience. Experience builds confidence, which is the key to effective speaking.